The Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic has impacted and is continuing to impact the Central Kentucky community. At H2O Designs, Inc. we value each customer relationship and see no reason, at the present time, to suspend our sales and design operations or otherwise cancel scheduled work. At the same time, we value the health and well-being of all individuals and want to do what we can to protect our employees, customers, and everyone with whom we do business. At this time, we are taking the following measures to keep safety as our top priority:
In addition to these measures we will also be offering a new “Virtual Project Design Process” for Lexington & Central Kentucky homeowners. We are still pleased to offer our traditional design meetings and process . However, for those who are wanting a new Water Feature or Outdoor Living Area in the Central KY area and want the security of not physically interacting with our design consultants we are happy to offer the following changes to our process:
Technology truly is amazing and we are happy to be able to continue to work with you through these strange times.
Fall & Winter Pond or
| || |
- Landscape & Grass – In the Fall & Winter your grass and landscape are typically dormant so the damage will be less, and they will recover quickly in the Spring.
- Scheduling– There is no denying that Spring is the most popular time of the year for new pond or outdoor living (patio, deck, outdoor kitchen, etc) construction in the Lexington / Central KY area. Therefore, our Spring / early Summer schedule fills up very quickly (often by the end of March). By having your project installed in the Fall/Winter you will be enjoying your new pond, patio, deck, etc while others are patiently waiting for our us to get to their project. Even If you do want to wait to Spring you can put down a minimal deposit to secure your place on our construction schedule come Spring.
- Project Timelines - Spring rains can delay construction for weeks. Fall weather is dryer, cooler, and usually more predictable. On average, you lose fewer days to rain, and the ground is easier to work.
- For Ponds & Water Features
- Plants - Planting marginal (bog) plants in early fall allows them time to get rooted. During fall, plants focus their energy on root development rather than foliar (leaf) growth. When spring arrives they have enough stored energy for lush, healthy growth.
- Landscaping - Perimeter landscaping is always best accomplished in fall. Plants get better established and will be more heat resistant by summer.
- Ecosystem – Installing the pond in the fall enables the pond water to settle and mature. You should experience less of an algae problem, if any, as the pond reaches proper bacterial balance during cooler fall weather.
Do you enjoy spending time outside with your friends and family?
If you own a home here in the Lexington / Central Kentucky area chances are that you have some type of patio or deck in your back yard. Unless you've had your backyard living area (patio or deck) renovated in the past 5 years chances are also pretty good that it may be time to consider how your outdoor living space fits your lifestyle.
How much does that cost?
1) - Planning Your Renovation
- How many people do we typically entertain? Answering this question will help you determine the size of your new patio or deck or even if enlarging your existing space is even necessary.
- How do we / will we use our new outdoor living area? This question will help you determine what amenities you want to consider. For example, do you usually cook for your guests (Outdoor Kitchen/BBQ Island)? Do your guests hang around well into the evening hours (Fire Pit or Outdoor Fireplace)
- What is our budget? You do not need to know how much things cost at this point to know your budget. The question I always ask m customers is "What are you willing and able to invest into your project at this time?" Keep in mind that many patio or deck renovations can be designed in phases so your initial budget should not determine your overall design (wish list).
- Are we willing to finance some or all of the project? Financing can be a very useful tool if utilized properly. Most companies nowadays offer low interest or even 0% interest financing options. This can be useful when your overall wish list exceeds your initial budget. I always recommend to finance responsibly. For example if you are confident you will have the money for phase 2 saved in a year and a company offers "18 months Same as Cash", it may be a good opportunity to include phase 2 in the initial project phase.
2) Timing of your project.
Fall & Winter is the best time to begin planning and contacting / interviewing potential contractors for your deck / patio renovation project! Please pause and read the previous statement again! By beginning your project planning in the Fall and Winter you can accomplish many things.
- You will be higher up on the installation list come Spring.
- More attention to your project design.
- Possible Incentives / Discounts.
- In some cases your project can even be installed in the January/February timeline so you have your new deck or patio ready to use when the weather breaks.
3) Hire a professional or D.I.Y.?
This is usually a fairly straight forward decision. Simply ask yourself this question. Do I have the time, skills and am I physically fit to complete this deck or patio renovation. Time is the most important of these 3 factors. You may be physically fit and have the skills to renovate your patio or deck. However, does your job/lifestyle allow you the time to take on this project?
4) Choosing a professional?
Also, keep in mind that listing companies such as Home Advisor, Angies List, etc make money off of the contractors they refer. Just because a company is listed on a referral site does not mean that they are the right company for you and your project.
How do I Prepare my Pond/Water Feature for Fall-Winter here in the Central Kentucky Area (Lexington)
It is important to note that preparing your pond for Fall and preparing it for Winter are 2 completely different tasks. Fall Preparation tasks generally take place in the September / Early October time here in the Lexington Kentucky area while Winter preparation generally occurs in November / Early December. We will focus our attention on Fall Pond Maintenance tasks and postpone addressing Winter tasks to November.
A pond net can greatly reduce the amount of debris and maintenance for ponds that are in direct vicinity of trees and falling leaves. Pond Frames are custom built with durable PVC piping and the netting is securely strapped to the frame to prevent sagging from the weight of leaves and debris that could ultimately suffocate your pond fish. (Learn More)
Feeding Your Fish - The water temperature will soon be dropping and you should be feeding our fish less as their metabolism slows down. Hopefully you have been feeding your fish well with a high protein food this summer to allow them to build up a reserve of fat to help them through the winter. After the water temperature drops to the sixties you should decrease the amount of food given and feed only once a day. We recommend Aquascape Cold Water Fish Food at this time as it is easily digested. As the water temperatures continue to drop to below 60 degrees you should feed only two or three times a week. It can take your fish two or three days to digest food at this temperature. Once the temperature drops below 50 degrees you should stop feeding altogether until spring when the water temperature remains above 50 degrees.
Algae Control &
Cold Weather Water Treatments
H2O Designs has been designing, building and maintaining ponds, water features & Outdoor Living Areas in the Central area KY for over 13 years. In 2005, H2O Designs became Certified by Aquascape Inc. as a Certified Aquascape Contractor (CAC) and in 2010 they added their Outdoor Living By Design division